5 Basic WordPress Plugins Worth Installing
WordPress represents a huge part of the internet. There are more than 76.5 million websites built with WordPress, and with 50,000 new WordPress websites added daily, that number continues to rise. It’s kind of a big deal.
It’s no secret that we love WordPress, and we work with it on a lot of projects. One of the cooler features of the CMS giant has to be the ability to install a host of different plugins. They can do anything from keeping your website secure to connecting you with your MailChimp account to keep track of email campaigns. Straight from the checklist of things we do with each new WordPress installation, here are five basic plugins we commonly install:
- Gravity Forms – An excellent custom form creator with multiple options. Simple to use, easy to implement and it keeps detailed track entries. Note: Because of its popularity, keep this plugin updated as Gravity Forms releases important updates regularly, often related to security. (Subscription-based. Contact Form 7 would be a good free alternative.)
- WordPress SEO by Yoast – Use this plugin to get good, basic SEO practices on your website. It gives you the ability to adjust every page and post individually, and offers tips on improving keywords, tags, etc.. (Freemium)
- WP Database Backup – This plugin provides both manual and automated backups of your database. It also allows you, with the click of one button, to restore a database in case your current one has become corrupted or broken. (Freemium)
- WP Super Cache – Want to speed up your site for repeat visitors? If you have a lot of images, large images or an intense graphic design then you’ll want to put this plugin to use. Note: when you are editing your site be sure to turn the plugin off temporarily – otherwise you won’t be able to see your changes. Just don’t forget to turn it back on when you’re done. (Free)
- Sucuri Security – Sucuri is an excellent plugin to defend against hackers. It helps stop brute force attacks, keeps track of admin logins, informs you of altered files, and keeps a log of all activity. (Freemium)