14 Ways to Get More Website Traffic
We’ve all been there. You’ve got a great website with plenty of content, but you just aren’t getting in front of enough eyeballs. Sure, you get the occasional return visitor, but something’s definitely got to give. So how do you get more website traffic?
There are many ways to get more visitors on your site – high-quality Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a great start. Unfortunately, the only constant in SEO is change. Google alters its algorithms consistently to stay relevant to users of the search giant, so keeping up can be a pain in the you-know-what.
There are some tried and true methods, in addition to great SEO, that can get new visitors and quality backlinks to your website. You can also find multiple paid advertising techniques, but here are some of the free options.
1. SEO Make sure you have a strategy for Search Engine Optimization. This basic research and implementation can not only drive traffic and help you get found by your target audience, but it will help you develop a better content strategy.
2. Content, Content, Content Everyone knows content is king, and as far as SEO goes, that’s never been more true. Not only does great, helpful content (articles and headlines) give users a reason to read on, it gives them a way to find you in the first place – Search is the #1 driver of traffic to content sites, beating social media by more than 300% (Kapost)
3. Blogging If you don’t already have a blog on your site, and you have educational, interesting content you can offer your audience, it may be a good idea to set one up. Post quality over quantity, and be sure posts are well thought out and informative. The goal is to give users a reason to come back.
4. Guest Posting Being able to guest post (post your content / opinions / articles) on other reputable websites is not only great exposure, but does good things for your search-ability and search rankings. Be selective with guest posting opportunities – don’t do it just anywhere. Work with large, experienced, trusted sites that provide information relevant to the post topic and your industry.
5. Expert Interviews / Roundups Got tips, tricks, opinions, or quotes to share? You’re not the only one! Reach out to other thought leaders in your field for content and share their resources in one great list. Don’t forget to link back to their website or blog!
6. Meta Tags While setting up meta tags will not have the same effect on SEO as it previously had, a lot of search engines including Google still use them. They don’t have direct impact on your search ranking, but they do act as important snippets of the content underneath the link.
7. Google Business Listing If you have a physical address, and you haven’t claimed your Google Business Page (and verified it with Google Maps!), do it now. This is an easy and free way for customers to easily find you and your website when they’re searching on Google.
8. Directories Find directories that are well-rated and related to your market, and make sure you’re on them. This list can get you started.
9. Forums There are forums for almost every topic, industry and market, and a great way to find new customers can be to meet them where they already are on the internet and help them out. When posting, be sure to contribute relevant, useful content and include your website link in your signature and profile if allowed. Remember – you’re here to assist, not advertise. (Though by assisting, you ARE advertising.) Read the forums terms of service before posting. To start, check out places like Quora and Reddit, as well as Facebook and LinkedIn Groups.
10. Social Media Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other content-sharing social media are a good way to get really relevant traffic to your website. It can also be a great way of starting a conversation about your new product or website. For the best results, use relevant hashtags and keywords, and if you’re boosting a post, make sure you’re boosting it to a defined audience.
11. YouTube YouTube is the second most used search engine behind Google, so if you have great video content to share, make sure you’re on YouTube. Videos that explain how to do something are the most popular, so that’s a good place to start. Make sure your website is linked in the description and on your profile page.
12. Product Reviews If you blog, a great way to get new visitors is by reviewing other related products and services. You’ll be offering users advice and providing a product or service you love with word-of-mouth marketing. MoonBase3 might review a WordPress plugin we love, or a social media tool we use.
13. Email Lists Email lists are a great way to keep your customers updated on new content, blog posts, or products & services. Whatever you do, make sure you’re following CAN-SPAM Laws.
14. Contests / Giveaways These options can generate traffic AND new leads. Users love taking advantage of these offers, and they’re likely to share them with their circles if the offer is lucrative enough. Offering a free and paid version of your product can also serve to increase traffic and leads.
Focus on great content – when you are giving good advice, providing education and offering a product or service that people want, they will find you.